2020 STUDENT INSTITUTE OF CAMPUS MINISTRY (SICM)
Thursday, May 7th – Sunday, May 16th
Already registered? [CLICK HERE TO MAKE A SICM PAYMENT]
Want to give a scholarship? [CLICK HERE TO SCHOLARSHIP A STUDENT]
The 2020 May Student Institute of Campus Ministry (SICM) trip will start on Thursday, May 7th and end on Saturday, May 16th. We will be traveling on Thursday, May 7th so please plan your schedules accordingly. Check your course final schedules and talk to your professors NOW to ensure that your final schedules do not conflict with the travel dates. (UTD final exams technically end on the 8th, so check your syllabi. Flying up later is a possibility if you can’t work something out). You will be notified at a later date about your flight details.
What is SICM?
At SICM you will have the opportunity to gain hands-on experience and learn campus ministry from some of the most experienced campus pastors in the country. Come ready to be challenged, come to be filled, and come to change the world. In just one week, you will gain personal and practical growth in small group leadership, evangelism, prayer, worship, Bible study, and a whole lot more. After SICM, you will return to your college or university with a deeper understanding of God’s purpose in your life and the lives of those around you. Plus, you’ll take back some great tools and ministry skills to help realize that purpose. The SICM program is hosted and presented by Campus Christian Fellowship (CCF) at Western Washington University. (DO NOT REGISTER FOR SICM ON THE CCF OR THE NW SICM PAGE.)
add SICM cost image
We also suggest you bring an additional $100 for food, spending money, or souvenirs. You will need to keep track of your own spending money.
* We are estimating the airline ticket at $400 but when we book the actual tickets, we will try to book tickets at a lower price. Once all the tickets for SICM are purchased, if the average cost of the airline tickets is lower than $400, we will refund the difference to each student attending SICM.
add important dates illustration
You are welcome to purchase your own tickets for traveling to SICM. Please DO NOT purchase your tickets without first confirming your flight information with your FOCUS campus director.
Since we have very specific transportation needs, it is very important that you make flight arrangements that will correspond to the following details:
- Arrive in Seattle on Thursday, May 7th. You may arrive at any time, but please note that if you arrive before our group arrives, you will need to take a free shuttle to our hotel near the airport.
- Return to Texas on Saturday, May 16th. You may fly out of Bellingham Airport (BLI) or SeaTac (SEA) for your return flight to Texas. If you fly out of Bellingham, you are welcome to fly at any time. If you are flying out of SeaTac, we recommend that you book a flight that leaves after 11am so that we can arrange for you to take a shuttle back in to Seattle to catch your flight. Please keep in mind that the shuttle back to Seattle can take anywhere from 2.5 hrs – 3 hrs.
**If you are unable to reconcile your schedule with the SICM travel dates, you might consider the June SICM session. June SICM will be June 11th-20th. Please let us know if your schedule only permits you to attend SICM in June so we can coordinate you attending with some of our other campuses.**
What if I can’t afford to pay for SICM?
Here are a few suggestions for how you can pay for your SICM trip.
- Can you pay for the trip in installments? Below are some payment options available to you:
- Payment Option 1: $350 deposit, $117.50/month for 4 months
- Payment Option 2: $350 deposit, $78.33/month for 6 months
- Talk to a member of your campus staff for more payment plan options
- Ask family members, church friends, and people you know to sponsor your trip to SICM. For example, a student one year went door to door on the street that she grew up to get sponsors for her trip.
- Talk to your home church about sponsoring your trip. If your home church is Northeast Garland, Wylie Northeast or Denton North Church, please do not solicit these churches as they are already supporting the FOCUS ministry.
- Host a fundraiser. Talk to the campus staff listed below if you’re interested in this option.
- Sell tickets for Showcase! Showcase is Saturday, February 29th. This is the best opportunity for you to raise funds for your trip. Showcase is a fundraiser concert that FOCUS puts on to help pay for SICM. Every ticket sale directly supports a student. There also may be opportunities for you to volunteer at the event to earn credit for your trip. Ask a staff person for more details.
- If you foresee any problems paying for the trip before May 6th, please speak to a FOCUS staff member as soon as possible.
Okay, so I think I need to fundraise. What now?
Contact one of the staff members listed below for your corresponding campus to get more information about fundraising and to request a fundraising packet.
add fundraising coaches
Where will I be staying during SICM?
Thursday, May 7th
On the first night of our trip we will be staying in a Seattle area hotel. Lunch and dinner on Thursday will not be provided, so please plan to bring some money for these meals. On Friday morning, a free breakfast will be provided by the hotel.
Friday, May 8th
On Friday, you will get to do some sightseeing in Seattle all day. You will need to bring money for lunch and dinner on Friday. We will stay in the same hotel in Seattle on Friday evening.
Saturday, May 9th
On Saturday, we will travel from Seattle to Bellingham early that morning. We will get to do some sightseeing in Bellingham during the day. Breakfast will be provided by the hotel, but you will need to bring money for lunch on Saturday. We will drive to a reception that evening for dinner, and you will be taken by your host family to stay at your home for the week.
Sunday, May 10th – 15th
During your stay at SICM, you will be living with a host family from the Bellingham area. They will be providing you with a place to sleep and all the food you will need during the week. Your SICM hosts do all of this without any compensation, so please be on your best behavior and don’t be shy about showing your appreciation and thankfulness to these generous families.
How do I register for SICM?
**AGAIN, PLEASE DO NOT REGISTER FOR SICM ON THE CCF OR THE NW SICM PAGE.**
Here are a few things to keep in mind while registering for SICM:
- Be sure to have your driver’s license or passport handy when you register for SICM. We need specific driver’s license/passport information to book airline tickets.
- Travel Details – If you plan on traveling separate from the SICM group, please tell us in detail about your travel plans in the comments area of the registration form.
- Allergies/Food Restrictions/Disabilities – If you have any restrictions that might affect your travel arrangements or living arrangements during SICM, please let us know. We will try to accommodate what is possible.