TEXAS WOMAN’S UNIVERSITY
We believe that Christ is needed on our campuses more now than ever. There are hurting and lonely students all across campus, and it is our goal to be a place for them to find a safe Jesus loving community to be a part of. With the COVID-19 pandemic still affecting the world we’ve prayerfully made some changes to how we gather together this year. We still believe that we are called to have fellowship with one another, but we must balance that with loving our neighbors well. So we are making a few changes this year.
- Our student led small-groups are still meeting throughout the week, but we are limiting their size to 6 people, and implementing social distancing during the meetings as well as face coverings. For those who don’t feel comfortable meeting in person we will have ways to participate virtually.
- For the time being we are cancelling our large group meetings. Instead we will make our small group times longer to enable us to still have times of teaching and worship, but now during those groups.
- We will also be setting up things like get to know you socially distanced hangouts and worship nights in order to maintain our connection to community and worship.
If you have any questions about what this year will look like or our COVID-19 response feel free to reach out to one of our campus pastors at email@example.com or 512-704-2412.
Who are we?
You’ll notice that we say “who” and not “what.” That’s because at the heart we’re not just a campus ministry organization, a system, or an event. We’re a community. We don’t go to FOCUS – we are FOCUS!
Spend any time with us and you’ll quickly see we’re all different. We’re different majors. We’re at different places in our education. We’re from different states and countries and ethnicities. We grew up differently and with different faith backgrounds. Some of us grew up in Christian families while others are just now exploring who Jesus is.
But we have some important things in common!
We recognize that college is a unique time of our lives and we want to make the most of it. And Jesus said, “I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full”. As we choose to follow Him we are experiencing that to be true.
What do we do?
Jesus also said no one should follow Him by themselves, so as a community, we are involved in each other’s lives. We gather every week in student-led small groups called Cores where we share life, pray, and read the Bible together. All of us in Core have the opportunity to meet regularly with a student leader to help us grow in following Jesus well. Those student leaders are mentored by a Staff Person who helps pastor our community.
But we aren’t just about ourselves…
What’s it all about?
In a hurting, broken, needy world, Jesus claims to bring healing, life, and hope – and He sends us as His messengers! We care deeply for TWU’s campus, for the Denton community, and for the world, so you’ll find us sharing the good news about Jesus all over – out on campus, in our residence halls, wherever we go.
We would love to have you join us! Bring your enthusiasm and your questions, your faith and your doubts, your gifts and your weaknesses, your dreams and your fears. We’d love to be part of your life at TWU! Our community always has room, wherever you find yourself.
A few other bits of info:
- FOCUS has been a registered student organization at TWU since 2014.
- We are associated with a larger community of churches and FOCUS ministries throughout the Denton and Dallas area. Our home church is the Denton North Church. We also join the UNT ministry for fellowship times.
- We have an historic statement of faith and see ourselves as part of the global and historical community of people who have decided to attach themselves to Jesus.
Hopefully we will have the opportunity to bless your college experience in some way.