University of Texas at Dallas
We believe that Christ is needed on our campuses more now than ever. There are hurting and lonely students all across campus, and it is our goal to be a place for them to find a safe Jesus-loving community to be a part of. With the COVID-19 pandemic still affecting the world, we’ve prayerfully made some changes to how we gather together this year. We still believe that we are called to have fellowship with one another, but we must balance that with love our neighbors well. So, we are making a few changes this year:
- Our student-led small groups are still meeting throughout the week, but we are encouraging all of them to meet outdoors. We are also encouraging social distancing during the meetings, as well as face coverings. For those who don’t feel comfortable meeting in-person, we have ways to participate virtually.
- For the time being, we are canceling our large group meetings. Instead, we will be recording teaching from our pastors for our small groups to watch together and have community guidance and mentorship.
- We may also host socially distanced hangouts and worship nights in order to maintain our connection to community and worship, but with aforementioned safety measures in place.
If you have any questions about what this year will look like or our COVID-19 response, feel free to reach out to one of our campus pastors at email@example.com or 360-831-2246.
Who are we?
You’ll notice that we say “who” and not “what.” That’s because at the heart we’re not just a campus ministry organization, a system, or an event. We’re a community. We don’t go to FOCUS – we are FOCUS!
Spend any time with us and you’ll quickly see we’re all different–different majors, different places in our education, from different states, countries, and ethnicities. We grew up differently and with different faith backgrounds.
But we have some important things in common!
We recognize that college is a unique time of our lives and we want to make the most of it. Jesus said, “I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.” As we choose to follow Him we are experiencing that to be true.
What do we do?
Jesus also said no one should follow Him by themselves, so as a community, we are involved in each other’s lives. We gather every week in student-led small groups called Cores where we share life, pray, and read the Bible together. All of us in Core have the opportunity to meet regularly with a student leader to help us grow in following Jesus well. Those student leaders are mentored by a Staff Person who helps pastor our community.
But we aren’t just about ourselves…
What’s it all about?
In a hurting, broken, needy world, Jesus claims to bring healing, life, and hope – and He sends us as His messengers! We care deeply for UTD’s campus, for the North Dallas community, and for the world, so you’ll find us sharing the good news about Jesus all over – out on campus, in our residence halls, wherever we go.
We would love to have you join us! Bring your enthusiasm and your questions, your faith and your doubts, your gifts and your weaknesses, your dreams and your fears. We’d love to be part of your life at UTD! Our community always has room, wherever you find yourself.
A few other bits of info:
- FOCUS has been a registered student organization at UTD since 1998.
- We are associated with a larger community of churches and FOCUS ministries throughout the Dallas, Denton, and Arlington areas.
- We have an historic statement of faith and see ourselves as part of the global and historical community of people who have decided to attach themselves to Jesus.
Hopefully we will have the opportunity to bless your college experience in some way.